As most people who are reading this are aware, a group of 14 Year 10-13 girls are heading out to Tanzania this summer with Mr Humphreys and Mrs McCool to open up a library for the Kilimanjaro Young Girls in Need (KYGN) school near Moshi.
We have been working hard on this project for the past two years, and so far we have…
- Raised over £6000 for the library build, through various fundraisers inside and out of school.
- Catalogued over 500 books.
- Taken part in two training weekends, where we learnt invaluable teamwork, leadership, campcraft, navigation and organisational skills, and also planned a provisional itinerary for our three weeks in-country.
- Made other preparations for our time at the KYGN school, including displays/decorations for the library.
As you can see from the picture at the top of this page, we have achieved quite a lot, but we are not there yet. We still have to do the following…
- Raise a further £2000 to ensure that the library building can be completed. Fundraisers include Mr Humphreys and Miss Handley competing in a sprint-triathlon in May.
- Catalogue another 500 books!
- Finish off all preparations for our time at the school – as well as decorating the library, we need to plan a series of activities for the children, including a whole day of fun sports activities.
- Make final preparations for the expedition itself, including confirming the activities we will do when exploring the country.
The build-up to the project has been so long that the reality we are heading out to Tanzania in just over five months’ time is only just starting to sink in. Our excitement is increasing with each passing day – we can’t wait!